Watermelon is a fruit that can be eaten by dogs, and because it contains a lot of water, it is recommended as a countermeasure against heat stroke and summer fatigue. Be sure to remove the seeds and skins and calculate the appropriate amount for the child. This time, under the supervision of a veterinarian, a pet nutritionist will explain everything from how to give watermelon to children with allergies, kidney concerns, and children who vomit easily.
Is it ok for dogs to eat watermelon
atermelon contains a lot of potassium, beta-carotene, and vitamins, and is a fruit that dogs can eat. There must be many dogs who love sweet watermelon. Watermelon, which leads to hydration and increases appetite , is recommended in the hot summer when you are worried about heatstroke and summer fatigue.
|watermelon (red meat)||Watermelon (yellow flesh)|
|β-carotene||830 μg||10 μg|
|potassium||It has the effect of excreting excess salt, maintaining a balance with sodium, and stabilizing blood pressure. If your kidneys are weak, it can be overdone and damage your heart. It is necessary to pay attention to the amount of intake.|
|β-carotene||Dogs can synthesize beta-carotene into vitamin A in their bodies. Vitamin A helps maintain healthy coats and vision. Deficiency leads to weakened immune system and imperfect bone formation.|
|Vitamin B6||As a coenzyme, it supports protein synthesis and energy production. It is involved in immunity and nerve transmission, and is an essential nutrient for maintaining skin health.|
|Vitamin C||It has a strong antioxidant effect and is expected to have cancer prevention and anti-aging effects. It also has the effect of detoxifying foreign substances in the body and improving the immune function. Dogs can synthesize it in their own bodies.|
1.4 times more lycopene than tomatoes
Red meat watermelon is red because it contains a pigment (carotenoid) called “lycopene”. Lycopene has a strong antioxidant effect , and is expected to be effective in preventing obesity and maintaining skin health. Lycopene contained in watermelon is about 1.4 times that of tomatoes, and not so much in yellow watermelon.
Fatigue recovery with citrulline
Citrulline is a type of amino acid, and is abundant in the white part near the skin of watermelon. It was discovered in watermelon (scientific name: Citrullus) in Japan. Citrulline turns into arginine in the body, promotes protein synthesis to build muscle, promotes the discharge of lactic acid and ammonia, and leads to recovery from fatigue. It works better than taking supplements.
Can you lose weight by eating watermelon?
Recent studies have shown that watermelon has an anti- obesity effect. Although the ingredients are not specified, it is believed that lycopene and citrulline are related to dieting. However, watermelon also contains a lot of sugar. If you give it, give it an appropriate amount as a topping or snack.
Read Also: is it ok for dogs to eat pork?
Things to keep in mind when feeding your dog watermelon
Here are some things to keep in mind when feeding your dog watermelon:
- child with kidney problems
- diarrhea or vomiting
1. Children with kidney concerns should be careful
Watermelon contains a lot of potassium, so children with kidney problems should be careful. It’s not that potassium is bad for your kidneys, it’s because your kidneys can’t filter it and the potassium builds up in your body and damages your heart.
2. Watch out for diarrhea and vomiting
Watermelon contains a lot of water, so eating it will keep you hydrated. However, cold watermelon is a burden on the stomach and intestines, so children with particularly weak stomachs should be careful of diarrhea and vomiting. Don’t let it cool down too much.
3. Watch out for allergies
- If you are allergic to the same cucurbitaceous plants as watermelon, such as cucumbers, melons, and pumpkins, you may also react to watermelon.
- If you are allergic to grass weeds or ragweed pollen, you may develop an allergy to cucurbits that have similar structures, which is called “cross-reactivity.”
- If you are eating watermelon for the first time, start with a small amount and see if you have any allergic symptoms. If your pet is itching, vomiting, or having diarrhea, it may be an allergy, so please consult your veterinarian.
In addition, there are many owners who think that they cannot eat ingredients that have been tested positive for allergies, but if there are no symptoms, there is no problem in giving them. Please refer to the following articles so that you do not narrow your dog’s food options due to misunderstanding.
How to get a dog to eat watermelon?
When feeding watermelon, remove the seeds and skin before feeding. It will be easier to eat if you cut it into bite-sized dices.
amount you can give
If watermelon is given as a topping to a comprehensive diet or as a snack, keep it within 10% of the optimal daily calorie intake.
Can I give my dog watermelon seeds and skins?
Watermelon seeds and skins do not cause poisoning symptoms when eaten by dogs, but they are difficult to digest and may cause gastrointestinal strain and intestinal obstruction, so do not give them. prize.
Even if you eat the seeds, they will come out when you have a bowel movement, so you don’t have to worry about eating a few seeds. However , small dogs are easy to burden, so you need to be careful. If you see anything out of the ordinary, consult your veterinarian.
The white part near the skin has little sugar and contains a lot of citrulline, so it is good to cut it into easy-to-eat pieces and give it as a snack or topping your usual rice.
watermelon dog treats recipe
Cool soy milk pudding with watermelon
|black sesame||moderate amount|
|mint leaves||Several sheets|
how to make
- Cut the watermelon into 4 small triangles for garnish, and blend the rest into juice.
- Put the watermelon juice from step 1, soy milk, and honey in a pot and heat until it starts to boil.
- When the rough heat of 2 is removed, pour it into a container such as a glass and chill it in the refrigerator to harden. At this time, crush the air bubbles on the surface with a toothpick or the like for a clean finish.
- When 3 has hardened, put yogurt on top and decorate with watermelon and mint leaves for decoration, with black sesame seeds to look like watermelon seeds.
- Great for hydration due to its high water content
- Rich in lycopene and citrulline
- Remove seeds and skin and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Be careful not to give too much because it contains sugar
Watermelon contains a lot of water and is perfect for rehydration in the summer. It contains more lycopene than tomatoes and more citrulline. It is a good idea to remove the seeds and skin and feed them in moderation as a summer snack.